Staying warm and dry

We were going to be staying in the marina throughout the winter, which only meant one thing we needed to insulate the boat.

We bought a big role of closed cell foam from it had the advantage that it had a silver outside layer, so that it would reflect the heat, back into the boat, while on the other side, it was nice and sticky so that we could stick it to the side of the hull with minimum of fuss.

As with all jobs, we played the boat game, in that we had to move things around so that we could create a space to work in. Once we had cleared out the v-birth I got stuck in. First removing the water that had collected at the bottom of the v-birth, then dirt using just a bit of soapy water to clean the sides, then lastly spraying Windolene which has vinegar in it to remove any grease. Once all the cleaning was done, we needed to cut the insulation into the correct sizes for our boat so that we could stick the insulation to the sides.

Beverley insulated all of the v-birth, while I insulated our small electrical cupboard, we then moved into the main cabin, insulating where we could until we had no more insulation material left.

Small Pump for heating system

While we were insulating the boat, the heating system, started pumping out loats of white smoke and refused to start. This is either the diesel filter, which is a really small, the glow plug or the atomiser. Cleaning the fuel filter is very awkward, but doable. It is the tiniest filter, just before the fuel pump. What Beverley does is remove the fuel line which is attached to the pump with a jubilee clip, using a screwdriver. She then wraps cling film over the fuel line, you would think that you need something better than cling film but it works. She then use a 12mm spanner to secure the pump to stop it rotating, then she uses a 17mm spanner to remove the fitting at the the back of the fuel pump. Just one turn is enough then she is able to then untighten the nut with her hand and the little filter is in that. Using a cotton bud is all that is needed to remove the filter. To clean the filter, we use cotton buds and a fuel set to clean the filter. Once the filter was clean, Beverley put it all back. This did not solve the problem so Beverley had to remove the heating system so that it could be serviced

The service thankfully did solve the problem, so next job was to insulate the pipes, using insulation from Bowers This insulation was needed as we were heating up a space that did not need to be heated. We wrapped the pipe in the insulation and secured with cable ties